The International Shakuhachi Society serves as a world forum for those interested in this unique instrument. It enables the various Japanese schools, leading players, composers and ethnomusicologists to disseminate their views to a wide and sympathetic audience.The Society is not partisan, but respects the unique relationship with the instrument which each player enjoys. The Society promotes and encourages the exchange and dissemination of information related to shakuhachi, its music and traditions. Membership is open to all interested individuals.
The Annals of the International Shakuhachi
Society - Volume 1addresses the interests of its members under the following
- The history of the shakuhachi and the komuso movement.
- The shakuhachi in its relation to the philosophy of zen.
- The notation and playing techniques of the various schools.
- The craft of shakuhachi making and a description of important historical and modern instruments.
- An international registry of traditional music teachers.
Volume 1 of the Annals of the ISS is a 196-page, hard cover edition containing a wealth of information drawn from distinguished members of the shakuhachi community. BK-1
INTRODUCTION by Dan E. Mayers, President of the ISS
Join the ISS. Download a Membership Form
Annals of the International Shakuhachi Society - Volume 2
|Price of Book