This Japanese language playing guide is written primarily in the five-line form, making the music of the shakuhachi accessible to anyone who is able to read western staff notation. The text is written in Japanese while the music is in western form.
Hozan Yamamoto covers all aspects of shakuhachi: its history, mechanics, tuning and repair. He explains in detail how to hold and blow this instrument and provides the beginner with information on how to choose a quality shakuhachi.
Chapters on playing explains how to read western staff and Japanese cursive notation with detailed information on rhythm, syncopation, tempo, staccato as well as techniques particular to shakuhachi playing. All aspects of honkyoku and sankyoku music are explored in this encyclopedic work.
Nine pieces of folk (Minyo) and classical
music are provided along with eight advanced pieces including
honkyoku and Yamamoto's own compositions. Scores include the following
1. Dan Kyu (Practice Piece)
2. Sakura - Key of C (Cherry Blossoms)
3. Kojo no Tsuki (Moonlight Over the Castle Ruins)
4. Hotaru no Hikari (Ald Lang Syne)
5. Kuroda Bushi (Minyo - Samurai From Kuroda)
6. Sakura - Key of G Minor (Cherry Blossoms)
7. Hietsuki Bushi (Minyo - Song for Pounding Millet)
8. Kiso Bushi (Minyo - Song From Kiso)
9. Ina Bushi (Minyo - Song From Ina)
10. Aizu Bandaisan (Minyo - Bandai Mountain in Aizu)
11. Komuro Magouta (Minyo - Horse Herding Song From Komuro))
12. Okosa Bushi (Minyo - Song From Akita)
13. Gavotte (French Dance Melody)
14. Rokudan no Shirabe (Classical)
15. Chidori no Kyoku (Classical)
16. Kohan no Yoru (Original Composition)
17. Kan Otsu (Original Composition)
18. Shakuhachi Duet (Original Composition)
19. Short Piece for Three Shakuhachi (Original Composition)
20. Long Piece for Three Shakuhachi (Original Composition)
A supplementary fingering chart is included. 135 pages. PG-10
Hozan Yamamoto is one of the mostly highly regarded players and composers of modern shakuhachi music alive today. He was one of the first classical player in Japan to synthesize traditional and western forms of music.
Learn more about Hozan Yamamoto
|Price of Book||Ordering Information|